This week our blog is going to feature categories again, as I think they are a lot better.
Fun Facts: Topic – Dragon Boat Festival
On hearing of Qu Yuan’s death, the local people were in great distress. Fishermen searched for his body by sailing their boats down the river and other people threw food such as eggs and food like zongzi into the river to attract fish and other animals from destroying Qu Yuan’s body. Later, many people imitated these acts to show their respect for this great patriotic poet and this practice continues today.
Because Qu Yuan died on the fifth day of the fifth lunar month, people decided to commemorate him on that day every year. For two thousand years, Qu Yuan’s patriotic spirit has influenced numerous people and he remains revered by the people from all over the world. Among the customs are dragon boat racing, eating zongzi (Vivian’s Mum made us some – THANKYOU), wearing a perfume pouch, tying five-colour silk thread and hanging mugwort leaves and calamus.
- We had a lovely dinner party with Cezary on Tuesday – MUM MADE PAVLOVA!!!!!!
- There is a new Starbucks quite near our house, so Mum is REALLY happy
- I have some brilliant new Havaianas from Rodrigo (blue & white ones) THANKYOU VERY MUCH
- I had the day off school on Wednesday because of the dragon boat festival
- I had a sleep-over with Guido on Friday after his farewell party (we played whole compound hide & seek, joker, Chinese whispers & then we watched Mr Bean) – he is going back to Holland
- On Saturday, went swimming with Quinn & had dinner with Quinn – MUM MADE PAVLOVA AGAIN!!!!!!
Word of the week (in Chinese, of course): 中文＝Zhong wen (Pronounced jong wen)=Mandarin
Nightmare of the week: During the sleep over, I got bitten by hundreds of mosquitos
Only one more full week of school!
P.S. WE HAVE JUST BOOKED FLIGHTS BACK TO ENGLAND IN JULY.
P.P.S. PLEASE CAN WE HAVE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO GO IN BRITAIN THIS SUMMER?